Child Support Modification Colorado

During a child custody case, one parent may have to make payments to the other parent to financially support their child. If maintenance or child support is modified by the court, the modification should be effective as of the date of the filing of the motion, unless the court finds that it would cause undue hardship or substantial injustice or unless there has been a mutually agreed upon change of physical custody of the child. In no instance shall the order be retroactively modified prior to the date of filing, unless there has been a mutually agreed upon change of physical custody. If a parent needs to file for child support modifications in Colorado, they must follow all legalities surrounding this process. It’s always best to work with an attorney to ensure you completely understand the process and acquire all the necessary documents.

The court may modify installments of maintenance or child support due between the filing of the motion and the entry of the order even if the circumstances justifying the modification no longer exist at the time the order is entered. The outcome of child support modification in Colorado is different for each case.

Jones Law Firm, PC. can assist you in filing a child support modification in Colorado. Our lawyers always put your best interests first and will work closely with you throughout the case. Schedule a consultation by calling (720) 606-4818 so that we can begin discussing the details of your child support modification case.


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Our team includes attorneys licensed to practice in multiple states including April D. Jones in California, Patrick G. Barkman in Texas, the Cherokee Nation, the Northern District of Texas, and the District of Colorado (United States Court of Appeals 10th and 5th Circuit).