Finding a Missing Parent for Child Support

Are you a parent whose former spouse has gone MIA and is not paying child support? Or, perhaps you were never married to your child’s other parent, but you have custody and he or she has not paid child support in a long time. Either way, you haven’t heard from him or her in some time and you haven’t received child support in months, if not years. What can you do? Is all hope lost?

Unfortunately, noncustodial parents, the ones who pay child support, disappear all the time. They will get a new cellphone number and move, sometimes to another state, and the custodial parent has no clue where they went. The custodial parent may not have the sophisticated tools to track down the noncustodial parent, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist, because they do.

How Can a Missing Parent Be Located?

“Help! My former spouse isn’t paying child support and I cannot locate him (or her).” If this is happening to you, a child support attorney can help. While there is no guarantee that the noncustodial parent will be found, enlisting your local Child Support Enforcement (CSE) agency can make all the difference. Unlike parents, CSE agencies can access local, state and federal information to find out where a noncustodial parent is living and working.

You can help CSE find the missing parent by giving them the following types of information about your child’s other parent:

  • Name
  • Birth date
  • Mother’s name
  • Father’s name
  • Social Security number
  • Picture of the other parent
  • Their last known home and work address
  • Their last known cellphone number
  • The names and locations of other children
  • Other names the parent has used in the past

Social Security numbers are extremely helpful when it comes to finding missing parents. If you don’t know the other parent’s Social Security number, look to their: paycheck stubs, apartment rental applications, tax returns, W2s and 1099s, hospital admission papers, and credit applications. Any financial information may be helpful, such as bank account info, insurance papers, pension information, and copies of stocks and bonds.

Do you need help with a child support issue in the Greater Denver Area? Contact Jones Law Firm, PC for a FREE consultation.


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Our team includes attorneys licensed to practice in multiple states including April D. Jones in California, Patrick G. Barkman in Texas, the Cherokee Nation, the Northern District of Texas, and the District of Colorado (United States Court of Appeals 10th and 5th Circuit).