Divorce is difficult, and it is easy to forget to take care of yourself while trying to navigate your new separation. However, it is important to take care of yourself. Here are several ‘items’ I suggest you have on hand to help take care of yourself during the divorce process:
- An inspirational quote: for example, the cliché “what does not kill you makes you stronger” often offers my client’s a little emotional relief while weathering the storm of their divorce.
- A song: My personal favorite is Since you’ve been gone by Kelly Clarkson. But you should pick one that suits your musical taste as well as your feeling at the time.
- A TV show: I think everyone has a show that they love, but their spouse can’t stand. Now that you’re separated, it is time for you to rent or buy every season of that show and watch it from start to finish. My personal guilty pleasure is the Biggest Loser because I find the contestants truly inspiring. But really any guilty pleasure will do the trick.
- A distraction: This could truly be anything (although I would refrain from booze). I find developing a new hobby can be great distraction. For example, Denver has every type of sports league under the sun, from golf, to tennis, or even adult kickball; I urge you to join a league. It’s a great way to meet new people who will distract you from your pending divorce.
- A friend: Don’t be afraid to reach out to people. Remember almost half the population has gone through a divorce. Reach out to your friends, and tell them that you’re going through a rough time. Explain to them that you need their support, and don’t be surprised when they are the ones that truly helped you survive your divor